Who wouldn’t want to play guitar??
Imagine playing like Jimi Hendrix on his Stratocaster. . . or like Chuck Berry duck-walking across the stage to “Johnny B. Goode”, or like B.B. King making his guitar, “Lucille”, cry the blues. There is no doubt about it – guitars and guitarists are “cool.”
“Guitar For Dummies” teaches you everything a beginner or intermediate guitarist needs to know: from buying a guitar to tuning it, playing it, and caring for it, this book has it all. You don’t even need to know how to read music. The book is full of photo-illustrated exercises and songs you can play to practice the techniques discussed in each section. This step-by-step guide will take you from the basics to beyond before you can say “Eric Clapton.” You’ll learn how to: How to pick the guitar and equipment that fits your needs and budget. Select the right accessories: amps, picks, pedals, capos, cases, and more. Pick and strum to produce a clean, clear, buzz-free tone. Know whether you’re “really” in tune. Play melodies without reading music. Perform basic guitar maintenance and repairs. Build strength and dexterity while playing. Play in different styles, including rock, blues, folk, jazz, and classical, and how to make your guitar “talk” with bends and slides.
From the Back Cover
The bestselling music guide — now updated!
Gearing up to play the guitar? Whether you’re a new or seasoned player, this handy guide makes it easy. You get expanded coverage of musical styles ranging from rock, blues, and jazz to folk and classical; you’ll also find updated photos, new songs, and the latest advancements in guitars and accessories to keep you up to speed.
- Guitar 101 — find out how to tune a guitar, read guitar tablature, pick and strum, and produce a clean, clear, buzz-free tone
- Start playing — jump right in with real music by strumming major and minor chords, picking single-note melodies, and adding color to your music with 7th chords
- Be cool — move beyond the basics and discover how to play lead and rhythm guitar, use barre chords, and create cool-sounding effects
- Find your style — discover the many popular music styles for playing acoustic and electric guitar, including rock, blues, folk, classical, and jazz — and everything in between!
Open the book and find:
- The parts and workings of the guitar
- Everything you need to play chords and scales
- How to play hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, and bends
- Helpful guidance on shopping for a guitar
- What to look for in guitar amps, effects, cases, and accessories
- Fast and easy instructions to tune your guitar, change strings, and more
- Plenty of music examples and hands-on instruction
- Strum basic chords and play simple melodies
- Tune, change strings, and make simple repairs
- Expand your range with songs using special techniques
About the Author
Mark Phillips is Director of Music at Cherry Lane Music, where he has edited or arranged the songbooks of artists such as John Denver, Van Halen, Guns N’ Roses, and Metallica. Jon Chappell is an award-winning multi-style guitarist, arranger, author, and former editor-in-chief of Guitar and Home Recording magazines.
If you liked this review why not check out some of our other reviews here.
675 total views, 2 views today