Interesting things you might not know about left handed people.
• Only 12% of the world’s population are left handed, and twice as many men as women. 30% of us are mixed-handed and switch hands during some tasks. Ambidextrous people can do any task equally well with either hand, but it’s exceptionally rare.
• Left Handed People Are Smarter – St. Lawrence University conducted IQ tests among right and left handed people. The tests results concluded that there were more left handed people with IQs over 140 than those individuals with dominant right hands. To prove it, Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, and Isaac Newton were lefties!
• Lefties Are Good At Art – Research has shown that left handed people may really be more artistically inclined. There is evidence that lefties are better at divergent thinking, and a survey of over 2,000 left handed people showed that the majority of lefties were drawn to careers in art and music.
• Four of the five original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed as were one in four Apollo astronauts, Neil Armstrong.
• Albert Einstein and Leonardo da Vinci were both left-handed. Other famous lefties include Napoleon Bonaparte, Joan of Arc, the Queen Mother, Prince William, Winston Churchill, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Judy Garland, Chewbacca the Wookie, Bob Geldof, Jimi Hendrix and Sir Paul McCartney.
• Left handers make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers. Almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties, including Rafael Nadal who has won 14 grand slam titles.
• August 13th has been declared International Left Handers Day.
• Five of the seven most recent U.S Presidents have been left handed – Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
Check out our article 10 Great Left Handed Guitarists.